Reports of children being injured as a result of eating sour lollies were recently posted on social media. A young Perth boy has received shocking burns on his tongue.
Parents are warned about the dangers of this type of candy and Dentists advise they should be avoided due to its high acidic content.
The boy’s mother sent this photo to CPR Kids to help spread awareness.
Often advice on the packaging can be found, stating that they are not suitable for children under four and consuming multiple sweets may cause irritation.
Dentists advise they should be completely avoided regardless of age.
Dr. Jonathan Teoh from the Australian Dental Association emphasised this message, warning that sour lollies can be ‘highly dangerous because of the ‘high level of acid or PH’. Details of the brand that caused the boy’s injuries were not specified.
A previous incident involving a little girl from Melbourne was released a few months prior. This picture taken by her mother shows the extent of her injury.
Labels with warnings are all well and good, however, parents would assume no product designed for a child could cause such damage. Apart from the injuries shown, these lollies have the potential to cause irreversible damage to the teeth.